Author Topic: Today's big local three  (Read 477 times)

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Today's big local three
« on: December 25, 2020, 08:28:07 AM »
So, every day has its headlines. I'll post the top local three of the day here. The keyword is "local." Feel free to comment...

1. Dusting of snow overnight and black ice warning for most of the day. Temp is not expected to get above 30.
2. Power outages in Henry County. Imagine losing power on Christmas Day!
3. Richard's Dinner - 2,500 dinners are being prepared for delivery and pickup. That's not a small undertaking.

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Today's big local three
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
I forgot the last couple of days. lol. Here are today's:

December 28, 2020

1. Morris A. Hairston, 51, of Martinsville, died in a single-vehicle car wreck on U.S. 58 toward Axton.
2. Tony Rice, legendary bluegrass picker who lived in Reidsville, died at age 69.
3. Starting Friday, a new Virginia law will prohibit people from holding a handheld communications device while driving.

Jack Straw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 06:26:07 AM »
RIP Tony Rice...set the bluegrass world ablaze with his guitar playing.
I went ahead and bought a bluetooth for my ear to answer and talk on phone while driving...I need it for my job.

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 08:59:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to have to get one. One riding down the road yesterday talking on the phone and realized - tomorrow (today) you can't do that anymore.

And true on TR. He had been in bad health for years so it didn't come as a surprise but hurts just the same.

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 09:00:46 AM »
Jan. 1, 2021

1. The Big Chair has returned to Uptown Martinsville.
2. The new cellphone las starts today. The law prohibits people from holding a handheld communications device while driving.
3. Two Martinsville police officers involved in a chase and a shootout last New Year's Day have been honored as the department's top officers for 2020.

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »
Jan. 2, 2021

1. New year, new laws... no more online course for a concealed carry permit, sports fans can now legally place bets.
2. Another round of precipitation coming our way tonight.
3. One person is dead following a crash in Pittsylvania County and two other people were taken to the hospital.

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 10:28:29 AM »
Jan. 5, 2021

1. We might get our first accumulating snow Thursday night and Friday.
2. Jim Adams and Debra Buchanan continue to lead the Henry County BOS
3. Kathy Lawson continues to lead the city council. Jennifer Bowles takes Chad Martin's place as vice.

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 09:03:29 AM »
Jan. 9, 2021

1. The National Weather Service predicted the Martinsville and Henry County area would get about 1 to 3 inches of wet snow on Friday, and that's just what the area got.
2. Rape charges of a 15-year-old girl were dropped against a Martinsville man in Martinsville Circuit Court on Thursday.
3. A Patrick County man was arrested Thursday night on a charge of grand larceny in the case of a Stuart motel owner who was found dead and his money bag missing.

Guillermo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 07:49:47 AM »
Jan. 16, 2021

1. The IRS announced Friday that the start of the 2020 tax filing season will be delayed to Feb. 12. compared to the usual opening in late January.

2. After he called the Trump administration's rollout of the coronavirus vaccine program a failure, President-elect Joe Biden outlined a very ambitious immunization plan of his own.

3. There have been 31 million coronavirus vaccine doses delivered nationwide, 12 million of them were administered. But the CDC has only confirmed 1.6 million of those were secondary doses to make the vaccine completely effective. Now, those in the second tier priority groups who were promised the vaccine are now left without a shot.